It’s been months since Conor McGregor had a competitive fight. In fact, his last one was in November last year. In addition to that, he is having a leisure time to spend quality time with his son, born earlier in May 2017. However, the epic Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather fight and its possible date are something people are always talking about.
There are reasons why people are curious about a possible fight between Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather. The two-time UFC champion has shared many videos over the last few months to keep his fans updated about his training sessions, which largely consist of boxing practice. McGregor himself is responsible for adding fuel to the fire of speculations about his potential fight against Mayweather, thanks to his social media posts.
And, Floyd Mayweather is no stranger to the speculations. Even though the American boxer is enjoying his retirement, he has promised to take a break from his retirement to fight the Irishman. He is also reported to have been training hard with his protégé Gervonta Davis.
McGregor signed a contract that allows him to fight the epic battle against Mayweather, while he is waiting for a Nevada state license. The UFC star seems determined to beat Mayweather, who has been undefeated so far. While Mayweather is yet to sign his side of the contract, he is believed to sign on the dotted line anytime soon.
Meanwhile, NSAC chief Bob Bennett seems pretty confident that McGregor will get his license and allow him to go for the “billion-dollar-fight.” According to him, Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather is “definitely an approvable fight.” He believes the fight is unusual because both of them are phenomenal as fighters. He talked about the Floyd Patterson vs Pede Rademacher fight in 1957, when Rademacher was making his pro debut. However, they fought for the world heavyweight title. He reminded that Patterson had won by knockout in the sixth round.
“So even though this would be Conor’s pro debut as a boxer, there is some precedence,” Bennett told Boxing News. “But, this would be the first time we see two fighters at this level, one from the MMA world and one from boxing, having a fight.”
Will the Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather fight date be pushed further? [Image by Steve Marcus/Getty Images]
While speculations about a Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather fight have been going on for a while, the actual date of the fight is still uncertain. There were rumors in March that the fight would take place on June 10. The T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, with 20,000 capacity, was reserved for that date. However, with McGregor’s son born in May, it is unlikely for the UFC star to choose that date for the fight of his career.
speculations about a Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather fight have been going on for a while. [Image by Dan Mullan/Getty Images]
McGregor then talked about a possible date in September. He said he had tried talking to Mayweather, when he went to Las Vegas. However, he said the American boxer was not interested in talking to him. And, he has his own reasons to explain why so. He told the LA Times that he, as a fighter, would be unpredictable. No one knows what to expect with him, he said. According to him, he does not know what to expect of himself either. That’s why he believes Mayweather is scared of him.
“He’s petrified. Wouldn’t you be?”
Even though McGregor may be pushing for a September fight in accordance with his own convenience, there are doubts about it. There is another big fight to be held in September. The Canelo Alvarez vs Gennady Golovkin is going to take place on September 16, the Mexican Independence Day. It is unlikely for two big fights to take place in the same month.
Will the Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather fight date be pushed further to the end of 2017? Or, will it happen before that? We can just wait and watch out for the confirmation at the moment.
[Featured Image by Steve Marcus/Getty Images]