In this courtroom sketch, Enrique Marquez appears in federal court in Riverside, Calif., Monday, Dec. 21, 2015. Marquez, 24, who authorities say bought the assault rifles his friend used in the San Bernardino massacre appeared in court Monday to face terrorism-related allegations. (AP Photo/Bill Robles)
A California man plead guilty Thursday to providing the high-powered rifles that were used to kill 14 people in the San Bernardino terror attack.
Enrique Marquez Jr. appeared in federal court in Riverside, California after signing a plea agreement with prosecutors.
He was accused of providing husband-and-wife assailants Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik the rifles used in the rampage and plotting mass killings with Farook several years earlier that were never carried out.
Marquez, 25, of Riverside is the only person criminally charged in the December 2015 attack that also left 22 people wounded at a meeting of San Bernardino County employees.
Farook and Malik were killed in a gunfight with authorities later that day.
Prosecutors said there is no evidence Marquez participated in the San Bernardino massacre or had advance knowledge of it.
Under the plea deal, Marquez could face up to 25 years in prison. A sentencing hearing is scheduled for Aug. 21.
During Thursday’s hearing, U.S. District Judge Jesus Bernal allowed the father of a woman who was killed in the attack to address federal prosecutors. He expressed his disappointment in them for the plea agreement saying that Marquez was getting “a slap on the wrist.”
“People get more time for committing a lesser crime,” the man said.
Prosecutors said Marquez acknowledged being a "straw buyer" when he purchased two AR-15 rifles from a sporting goods store that were used in Farook’s attack on the meeting of his work colleagues.
Prosecutors have said Marquez agreed to buy the weapons because the attackers feared Farook’s Middle Eastern appearance might arouse suspicion.
Marquez also acknowledged plotting with Farook in 2011 and 2012 to massacre college students and gun down motorists on a gridlocked Southern California freeway, though those attacks never occurred.
Marquez said he backed out of the plot after four men in the area were arrested on terrorism charges in late 2012, the FBI has said in court documents.
Marquez and Farook met in 2005 after Marquez moved next door to Farook’s family in Riverside, about 55 miles east of Los Angeles.
Farook began educating his new friend about his Muslim faith and Marquez converted in 2007.
The FBI said the two began discussing extremist views shortly thereafter. By late 2011, Marquez spent time at Farook’s home reading magazines published by al-Qaida and studying radical material online, federal officials said.
Fox News’ Dan Gallo and the Associated Press contributed to this report.